The body naturally processes and eliminates toxins through the lower intestines, kidneys, and liver. However, many health experts believe that the body accumulates an overload of toxins due to environmental exposure, chemicals in food, and similar events that humans are likely to encounter in an industrialized world. Marketers and entrepreneurs have capitalized on people’s fear of toxins and offer hundreds of “detoxifying” treatments. While you can take your chance with these products, there are also natural, simple approaches. Below are some steps you can take to aid your body’s natural system of flushing our toxins:
- Drink plenty of water. Increasing your intake of water will aid your kidneys in the elimination process
- Eat plenty of high-fiber foods. The goal is to help waste exit the body and a little extra fiber can go a long way in ensuring the digestive system moves waste out of the body
- Use a Dry Skin Brush. A dry skin brush helps bring blood near the surface of the skin and opens your pores to release toxins.
- Take a Bath. After using a dry skin brush, take a hot bath with 2 cups of Epsom salts and ½ cup of baking soda. This will help toxins exit the body through the skin. Try to soak for at least 20 minutes.
- Lighten your Toxin Intake. To help your body remove toxins, try to decrease the amount of toxins you intake. You can accomplish this by eating less processed food (and trying to eat as much organic as possible) and using less chemically-based cleaners and beauty products.
Clear Passage Therapies recommends that any patient who completes treatment with us implement the above steps after treatment. Manual physical therapy is a highly intensive form of treatment. As our physical therapists use their hands to break-apart adhesions in the body, blood flow is restored to areas that were previously restricted. This process may cause an increase of toxins to be released into the body, which may lead you to feel like you have a cold or slight flu. By following the above steps, you help your body eliminate these toxins. For more ideas on ways you can help your body perform better see Reducing Inflammation Naturally.